Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Training youngsters: Keep it light!

What I mean by this is, that a good laugh will get you a long ways when training a young horse. Just like human children our young horses are full of energy and surprises that are pretty funny if you let yourself recognize their responses! Whenever I am working with a colt(either gender referenced as) I never approach the training session with a heavy hand, perhaps a firm one but always with deliberation on the possible outcome. It will depend on the colts personality very often how they react and recognizing this early on will get you farther than any cookie cutter methods employed.
Young "Nautique" just hours old.

I love working with the colts, always have. For almost 20 years I started young Thoroughbreds on a large scale breeding and racing farm, often with them right from birth to their first saddling, some came back from the track unsuccessful in their bid, but still a viable horse and I had the privilege again, to teach them to be recreational horses; some hunters and jumpers, but all of them found a good home, never auctioned. I bred some nice foundation Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds myself and started all of them under saddle, each one different as the next day and all happy to go to work. What lends to my success, creating happy horses?

Nautique on the long lines. 
I enjoy them as they are, just like children they will teach you a few things with their simple and clear, pure reactions to circumstances. I try not to overthink training, definitely I look for the joy in the horse. I believe that often given the chance the young horse will thrive with a simple challenge and a instant reward that they appreciate, I often laugh lightly and tussle a young horse's mane, give them a big pat on the shoulder, They recognize this happy reward and give me back so much more!  Every once and awhile I see someone trying to work with a young (and older) horse and they are so serious you'd think they are working with a criminal, I think "Lighten Up". It is very possible to enjoy every step of the training  with a light heart, even when it goes south a little... that when I chuckle at myself because I probably missed an opportunity.

Nautique greets me everyday ready!
In the end what I want is a horse that is always happy and ready to go on an adventure, wanting to give me their best performance, NOT because I can make them with my spur or crop or under threat.... because they trust me and they WANT to give 100%. They love to work! When I walk in the barn this happy horse that nickers at me with a look of "What's next Dad?" is my everyday reward! I like getting a ribbon at the show, and percentage wise my horses most often do, but face it that's not everyday! When I do show I enjoy the whole event, but it's at home where my horses live and grow that the real rewards are!

I firmly believe that all horses respond better to kindness and a firm but understanding approach to training, some of my clients and friends at home or a show have heard me chuckle a time or two at my horses, I believe that they respond favourably and know I love them even when they are a little playful, If they misbehave I drop my voice and they prick their ears in respect and correct themselves, they show me respect and trust through willing obedience supported by great rewards!

Clay Jackson





No comments:

Post a Comment