Tuesday, May 7, 2019

"Class Act"

It really doesn't cost you anything to show a little "class", the respectable and nowadays seemingly lost act of self governance when dealing with another. In the sports world, true sportsmanship has given way to our dog eat dog mentality that purveys itself all through society today.

I have no qualms of competitive "ruggedness" out on the field, I played soccer through high school and into college level for awhile and I can assure you, there is no mercy out there in a game. Such as it was, once off the field I had no animosity, just well meaning, healthy support towards our own team! However the act of sportsmanship requires a certain measure of respect for those you oppose. Are they not in this game also? Without them would there even be a competition? No, there wouldn't, so unless I am aware or see outright acts against or dismissal's of the standards we strive to adhere to, those set out in the rulebooks, I will accept my allies and foes on a level board.

I have watched it happen to many and experienced myself the regularly dispensed discourtesies and even flat out rudeness at a show or facility by owners, clients, trainers and surprisingly even the occasional official. More than aloofness it is an agitational cloud that sets down upon the sport. I  know I am only supposed to write good feeling posts, but this is something that crucifies sports and that's a shame because what is to be a healthy activity can turn ugly enough for some to quit the sport and that is so shameful to us all as a body.

There will always be bullies and people with bad attitudes but our society often seems to reward this activity, stuffy noses struck skyward and raining down impertinence without provocation. Wow, capitol "LOSERS" in my book, I wouldn't care if they are the richest or greatest riders on the day, it only lessens the sport and the minions who desire to chase a dream. The "more" of us should choose to not reward those behavior's, but openly, actively help one another, offer good words and support, genuinely root for everyone to do well, and then strive to best them with your own efforts. treat all that are struggling with encouragement and even lend a hand. I have many times stepped in to hold onto someone's horse, load some equipment at a show, there are too many to list.

This is what breeds a healthy co-operation and healthy respect amongst competitor's, our sports require us to strive always for sportsmanship as equal to safety, ensuring a healthy activity mentally as well as physically. It's a personal choice, but the "golden rule" would be well served to your self pride and to others, certainly upon your reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment